Sunday, January 27, 2013

My Own Little Nerds

Wikipedia tells me that:

nerd (adjective: nerdy) is a person, typically described as being overly intellectual, obsessive, or socially impaired. They may spend inordinate amounts of time on unpopular, obscure, or non-mainstream activities, which are generally either highly technical or relating to topics of fiction or fantasy, to the exclusion of more mainstream activities. "Nerd" is a derogatory, stereotypical term, but as with other pejoratives, it has been reclaimed and redefined by some as a term of pride and group identity.

Both of my girls proudly claim to be nerds and they do fit some of the definition for sure:
  • both very intelligent
  • both love Sci Fi such as Dr Who, Serenity, Dune, Dollhouse
  • both love classics such as Shakespeare, Austen, Bronte and Wilde (definitely non-mainstream)
  • both love fantasy such as Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, Song of the Lioness
  • both loving learning Auslan (Australian Sign Language)
  • both wear dark rimmed glasses

So when I saw a stamp set released that celebrates nerds, I just HAD to get it! The images are gorgeous and the sentiments that go with it hilariously appropriate!

This one was cased from Jenny Peterson and is for DD14:



Materials used:
  • stamps - Smarty Pants by There She Goes clear stamps
  • card - summer starfruit, soft suede, midnight muse, watercolour, Comfort Cafe dsp, very vanilla, summer starfruit patterned paper
  • other - ticket corner punch, spiral punch, midnight muse ribbon, dimensionals, aqua painter, markers

And DD20's card uses the Halloween papers that to me look very similar to Burberry's classic check:



Materials used:
  • stamps - Smarty Pants by There She Goes clear stamps
  • card - basic black, very vanilla, tangerine tango, watercolour, Howlstooth and Scaringbone dsp
  • other - aqua painter, markers, dimensionals

I hope if you have nerds in your house that they celebrate their uniqueness too!

Thanks for calling in.

Cheers
Kez


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL love your take on nerds and nerdiness in general. You certainly made me literally LOL tonight. Love the cards, they are tre chic. Cheers Donna Z :)

Kathryn Brennan said...

These are great! Love your work.

Margaret said...

Oh, how I love these! I think I would relate pretty well to your girls! Of course, when I was in high school, it wasn't nearly as cool to be a bit nerdy... I think of all of the computer 'geeks' I was friends with in high school and how much money they are making now, and just smile! Silly me, I went into teaching...